Outside of Lewes there are but few business places established in the Lewes-Rehoboth Hundred, except some transacted at Quakertown, two miles west of Lewes, which was a hamlet of fifteen families up until 1725. A Public House was kept there, the Militia did their training at that place and elections were also held there. Near where was built the residence of Gideon Prettyman stood the pillory and whipping post which were used as long as the courts were held in Lewes. In latter years this place became known as Prettymanville. In 1887 stores there were kept by William Prettyman and A. Cord. There were also a few mechanics shops.
The growth and improvement of Lewes had not been very eventful and in 1721 it was reported as a large and handsome town on the banks of the Delaware. Five years later there wrre fifty eight families at this place and fifteen at Quakertown. 1807 Lewes had about eighty buildings and that number was not increased much until after the Civil War. Twelve years after that event, in which period the railroads were built, 150 new homes had been added and the population was estimated at eighteen hundred.
In 1887 there were within the corporate limits about two thousand souls, five churches, a fine union school, a hotel and at least thirty places of business, including a telegraph office established in 1852.
Contributed by Harrison
Description: Ellendale Methodist Episcopal ChurchDate: Various 2011
Newspaper published in: Pennsylvania
The Ellendale Methodist Episcopal Church:
On July 16, 1873, William McColley granted to Alfred Heavelow, William Short, James M. Jester, Bevans Morris and Alfred Short, a tract of land for a church, parsonage and school.
A school and parsonage costing $500 were soon erected and the church was commenced in 1882 and dedicated December 31st of that year by the Rev. Mr. Johathan S. Willis.
The building committee, composed of Elias B. Reed, Alfred Short, and Benjamin E. Jester, erected a neat frame edifice, thirty bu forty-four feet at a cost of $1,200.00 . The membership was twenty five communicants and a connected Sunday School containing twenty scholars under the superintendency of James H. Jester.
The church has always been connected with the Ellendale Circuit and the pulpit has been filled by the pastors of that Circuit.