The 'Federal Ark', the first newspaper issued at Dover, Delaware in the year 1802, was published by Augustus M. Schee. The Ark was the news paper of the Federalist Political Party, and it was published for two yeas.
In 1805 Mr. Schee published the Delaware Herald which lasted only one year. Also in 1805 "The Record and Federal Advertiser" was published at Dover by Joseph Robertson.
In the interest of the presidential candidacy of John Quincy Adams, the "Delaware Intelligencer" was printed by Samuel F. Shinn, February 1, 1925.
During the 1828 presidential campaigen, Joseph Robertson was editor of "The Political Primer / The Home Book for Jacksonites" that had for a motto "Retaliation" and it strongly advocated the re-election of John Quuincy Adams for President. Leading politicians of that time made contribution, men such as Caleb S Layton and Samuel M. Harrington. These gentlemen had no hesitancy in pouring hot shot into the ranks of their political opponents. This publication was published for six months or so.
Henty W. Peterson, who kept a stationary and book store in Dover in 1830, printed about six issues of "American Freeman and Legislative Reporter" during that year legislative session.
A man noted for his considerable literary ability, William Huffington, Esq., started in 1838 at Dover, a monthly magazine, "The Delaware Register and Farmer" which was discontinued after a year.
"The Sentinel" a Whig Party newspaper was published in 1851 by William Wharton. The "Delaware State Reporter" a Democrat and anti Prohibition newspaper edited by George W. S. Nicholson was published in Dover from 1853 to 1859.
7 May, 1859, Delaware Company, James Kirk, editor, issued the first number of the "Delawaran", a weekly newspaper. It became the Delaware State organ of the Democratic Party, well known throughout the Eastern States. Mr Kirk was editor until March 1876 when Eli Saulsbury became a proprietor until 1902.
A Republican party newspaper, the "State Sentinal" was started in 1874 by Henry W. Cannon who published the paper until 1891 when purchased by Edward W. Louderbourgh and was edited by John H. Bateman until his death in 1900. James E. Allee, Jr purchased this paper in 1814.
"The Index" was first published in 1887 by Francis M. Dunn and his son, Thomas, continued with it after his death in 1894. By 1928 James H. Hughes, Esq., was owner and his daughter, Caroline wrote a social column "Whispers" which had wide readership.
"The Delaware State News", was established in 1901 by Monroe Ashmore of Chicago who sold to James C. Wilkes , Arley Megee and Robert Wilson. By 1928 Wilkes was owner.
In 1929 there were four newspapers of issue in Dover. The Delaware Republican, a weekly, founded in 1907 by Benjamin Simmons, owner and editor. The Delaware State News, weekly, The Index, another weekly and the State Sentinel which ceased publication in 1941
1985 there were three newspapers of issue in Dover . "Delaware State News" daily since 1985, owned by Independent Newspapers Inc., with officers, Joe smyth, I.D. Baily and Karen Walters. A Sunday edition was added in 1871. "Delaware Post", weekly, Don Flood, editor, Marie Marchese and Ann Biyer staff wrighters, Jim Flood Sr., publisher. The "Sentinal" a weekly, Jack Costello, editor, Roy Shielfs, owner.
Transcribed from "Tricentennial View Of Dover, 1683-1983"