ROBERT GRIFFITH HOUSTON
In 1930 Robert G. Houston was living in Georgetown, Delaware, with the distinction of being the only man in the history of the State of Delaware to be elected for three terms in the Lower House of Congress, serving from 1925 to 1933.
Robert Griffith Houston was born in Milton, Sussex County, the 13th of October, 1867, the son of Dr. David Henry Houston and Comfort Tingle Hitchens Houston. During the Civil War, his father was the Sergeant in Chief, First Division, Second Corps, U.S.V., from 1863 to 1864.
R. G. Houston attnded public schools in Lewes from 1872 to 1882, then read law with his uncle, Judge John W. Houston. In 1888, he was admitted to Kent County Bar during the October term of court. That same year he moved to Georgetown where he opened an office to practice his profession.
He was; Attorney for Sussex Almshouse, captain in Delaware National Guard, commander of Georgetown's company G, and was also assistant Adjutant General, owner of Georgetown weekly 'The Sussex Rebublican', as a Republican was nominated for several offices but lost to Democrat's, chairman of the County Republican Committee, 1901 collector of customs, president Delaware Sunday School Association, served on Governor Joshua Marvil's staff as adjutant general, Sussex county Assessment board member, helped establish 'Farm Bureau', secretary Georgetown Board of Education, member of town council, 1921 deputy attorney general. He was a Presbyterian, member A.F. & A. M., Royal Arch Masons, and many other local organization s.
1925 he served as a member of of the House in the 69th Congress, then the 79th and 71st Congress.
On the 20th of December, 1888, he married Margarete Burton White, daughter of Henry H. and Mary White of Overbrook, near Lewes, and had three children, Mrs Julian Thomas Robinson, Miss Elizabeth Houston, living in Georgetowm and a son , John W. Houston, prominent farmer of Overbrook, Sussex county.
Robert Griffith Houston, died in Lewes, 29 January 1946. and is buried in the Lewes Presbyterian Church Cemetery.