NASSAU, QUAKERTOWN AND
MIDWAY
1938
Nassau, population 75, on
the Lewes Rehoboth Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad, is
shipping station for local
diary farmers milk, fruit and produce. There are large apple
orchards, packing an
shipping houses and a cannery along the railroad. Soon after the
Civil War ended the
railroad to most everthing to Lewes and Nassau became the sleepy
little village it is today.
Nearby is Wescoats Corner,
where the state road 18 to Rehoboth branches off to the left to
Lewes. As early as 1725
there was a Public House kept here for the Kings Highway.
The local militia trained
here and the early county whipping post and pillory were located
before being moved in to
Lewes. This was then Quakertown, also known as Prettymanville
for the Prettyman family
who lived there and kept a store. The Wescoats family had a wagon
and buggy building business
here too.
Farther down the road
towards Rehoboth is Midway, midway on the old dirt and sand road
between Lewes and Rehoboth.
In old days the Maxwells and Model T's midway was a
welcome point to weary
tourist bound for the seashore after asix or eight hour trip on the
roads
from Wilmington and up
state.
Another mile and the dirt
road junction to the Marsh Cemetery, well kept, iron fenced, in a
grove of stately pines,
one of the state largest burying grounds. The earliest grave
marker
stone is that of Peter
Marsh who died in 1769.
One of the Marsh Plantation
houses, perhaps the original one, now restored and enlarged,
now known as the Homestead
in Henlopen Acres.
Abstract: June 1, 2018,
Harrison H., from October 2004 Beach Life, from the WPA
Federal Writers Project of
1936.
No comments:
Post a Comment