Saturday, April 28, 2012





Long before this bridge the Skinner family were the prominent area watermen, taking timber rafts down the Delaware and operating a ferry between Pennsylvaning and New York. The village of Milanville was also known as Sskinner's Falls at the time. Early 1900 , local politicians felt a bridge across the Delaware at this point would be appropriate and a private company, Milanville Bridge Company, was formed to sell stock, build and operate such for the public. Milton Skinner was the first president of this company. There were problems, first weather and an ice flow flood and then objections from nearby competative bridges built in the 1800's . These were the cochecton Bridge to the north and Narrowsburg Bridge to the south aand to make settlement the Milanville bridge was to be built as a one lane only. American Bridge Company completed the bridge in november 1902 and a cost of $14,000. Tolls were less than the two orther area bridges and tolls were collected on the Pennsylvania side the albro Dexter famly. Then in 1904 a serious flood of ice carried off the New York section.The Perkins brothers of Horsehead Bridge Company, using steel from the wrecked bridge, repaired and reopened Skinner's Bridge for $7000. After repening other businesses were attracted to the area, Erie Railroad sestablished a station, and freight siding for the Brant-Ross Chemical Company's acid factory at Milanville, several creameries were built, aiding the daiary farmers, so added business increased rhe toll income for the bridge and owners.

Luxurious tourist resorts in the beautiful and secluded river valley were a draw to New Jerssey and New York people in Spring, Summer and Fall bringing more travelers across the narrow Milanville bridge. In the 1920's Pennsylvania and New york took ownership of Delaware River bridges which increased travel in the valley. Floods in the 50' and 60's were harmless. During the summer of 1986 the Skinners Fall;s bridge was closed for repair but was reopened and in 1988 was added to the list of historic places on the National Register and still serves travelers who are not in a hurry.


History of Delaware Crossings

Frank T. Dale

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Salting Down Coon & Possum in Broad Creek Neck of Talbot county Maryland

February 2, 1898 - The Baltimore Sun Paper
  Racoons and opossums have never been in the woods of Broad Creek Neck until this winter, that is as many as there are now.  Nobody can understand the reason of their appearance. The Broad Creek woodlands have many old white and red oaks, gum trees and pines full of hollows from the decay of old age.  Sometimes coons, possum and squirrel are found together in one hollow, living amicably. The country people of Broad Creek Neck  make great sport of these animals. Some, having more than they can use fresh, are 'salting them down' for coon bacon.
 The Broad Creek Neck is a peninsula ten miles long, Broad Creek on one side and Harris Creek on the other, both of which run into the Choptank. Here the invasion of the coons and possum are farm yard pest, plundering anything edible and sometomes they are found drowned in the slops barrels.