Saturday, December 17, 2011

Early Dover Newspapers

Dover Newspapers
The 'Federal Ark', the first newspaper issued at Dover, Delaware in the year 1802, was published by Augustus M. Schee. The Ark was the news paper of the Federalist Political Party, and it was published for two yeas.
In 1805 Mr. Schee published the Delaware Herald which lasted only one year. Also in 1805 "The Record and Federal Advertiser" was published at Dover by Joseph Robertson.
In the interest of the presidential candidacy of John Quincy Adams, the "Delaware Intelligencer" was printed by Samuel F. Shinn, February 1, 1925.
During the 1828 presidential campaigen, Joseph Robertson was editor of "The Political Primer / The Home Book for Jacksonites" that had for a motto "Retaliation" and it strongly advocated the re-election of John Quuincy Adams for President. Leading politicians of that time made contribution, men such as Caleb S Layton and Samuel M. Harrington. These gentlemen had no hesitancy in pouring hot shot into the ranks of their political opponents. This publication was published for six months or so.
Henty W. Peterson, who kept a stationary and book store in Dover in 1830, printed about six issues of "American Freeman and Legislative Reporter" during that year legislative session.
A man noted for his considerable literary ability, William Huffington, Esq., started in 1838 at Dover, a monthly magazine, "The Delaware Register and Farmer" which was discontinued after a year.
"The Sentinel" a Whig Party newspaper was published in 1851 by William Wharton. The "Delaware State Reporter" a Democrat and anti Prohibition newspaper edited by George W. S. Nicholson was published in Dover from 1853 to 1859.
7 May, 1859, Delaware Company, James Kirk, editor, issued the first number of the "Delawaran", a weekly newspaper. It became the Delaware State organ of the Democratic Party, well known throughout the Eastern States. Mr Kirk was editor until March 1876 when Eli Saulsbury became a proprietor until 1902.
A Republican party newspaper, the "State Sentinal" was started in 1874 by Henry W. Cannon who published the paper until 1891 when purchased by Edward W. Louderbourgh and was edited by John H. Bateman until his death in 1900. James E. Allee, Jr purchased this paper in 1814.
"The Index" was first published in 1887 by Francis M. Dunn and his son, Thomas, continued with it after his death in 1894. By 1928 James H. Hughes, Esq., was owner and his daughter, Caroline wrote a social column "Whispers" which had wide readership.
"The Delaware State News", was established in 1901 by Monroe Ashmore of Chicago who sold to James C. Wilkes , Arley Megee and Robert Wilson. By 1928 Wilkes was owner.
In 1929 there were four newspapers of issue in Dover. The Delaware Republican, a weekly, founded in 1907 by Benjamin Simmons, owner and editor. The Delaware State News, weekly, The Index, another weekly and the State Sentinel which ceased publication in 1941
1985 there were three newspapers of issue in Dover . "Delaware State News" daily since 1985, owned by Independent Newspapers Inc., with officers, Joe smyth, I.D. Baily and Karen Walters. A Sunday edition was added in 1871. "Delaware Post", weekly, Don Flood, editor, Marie Marchese and Ann Biyer staff wrighters, Jim Flood Sr., publisher. The "Sentinal" a weekly, Jack Costello, editor, Roy Shielfs, owner.
Transcribed from "Tricentennial View Of Dover, 1683-1983"

Saturday, December 10, 2011


Article from the August 8th 1891 issue of the newspaper PEOPLE.
A unique Industry on the Delaware River
That Lasts Three Months
Down along the shores of Delaware Bay, on both the New Jersey and Delaware sides, there is a thriving industry which is seldom heard of and still more seldom seen in operation or has fewpeople stop to inquire into it.
It is the King Crab fishery and last year 1,674,00 of the ha shelled crustaceous fellows were taken from their native element, while past years the yield has reached 5.000,000. The season lasts three months.
Thfishery for the king crab, while nit primarily intended to provide a food product does furnish one of the best fertilizers known.
A trip down the bay proves the industry to be flourishing condition and seems to center on the Jersey side, between Cape May Point and Heislerville, twenty mile above and seven/eights of the entire catch is made between Dennisville and Fishing Creek. At Goshen, Dias Creek and Green Creek the catch was between 335,000, 410,000 and 411,000 crabs respectively.
Two forms of appatatus are in common use along the Jersey Shore, one resembles a type of 'pound net', but the the other is unlike and thing used in waters of the United States and is designed especially for this fishery.
The wood stakes that form the frame for the 'pound' are 8 to 10 feet long and 4 to 6 inches diameter, pleaced 4 to 6 feet apart. To the bottom of the stakes, called the 'hedge' , one inch boards are nailed on, one foot or slightly higher. This forms the 'bowl'. The door to the first bowl is 18 or 24 inch wide and the door to the second bowl is in narrower to prevent too many crabs to enter. Netting is either twine or chicken wire.
Then there is the 'weir or stake net as it is called here, and is different than the pound net. It has poles driven into the muddy or sandy bottom so as to form a 'hedge', wings, bowl or pound . The poles are placed about 3 inches apart to allow the sea to flow through them. This bowl is semicircular in shape, the extremies of the brushwork is about midway the pound. The capacity is controled by the leader door to the pound and is the most important feature of the apparatus. It consist of a wedge shaped platform, five foot long, and is inclined at a gentle angle, not too smooth, otherwise the crabs canot walk upon it. There is a floor to the pound, made from cheap boards, so that the crabs will not scratch hols in the mud or sand, loosening the frameiing poles.
This story was told by Hugh M. Smith of the United States Fishery Commission.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Veterans Pay / Civil War

News item, June 18th, 1864 in the Easton Maryland GAZETTE, as the war and the Union was in much disarray, title TO SOLDIERS FAMILIES.
"The widow, child, father, mother, brother or sister, &c., of any officer, soldier or seaman who dies in the service of the United States is entitled to bounty, pensions or back pay, &c. For full information and all such claims for prompt collection contact, William B. Hill, Government Claim Officer, 70 West Fayette Street, Baltimore, Maryland. All letters must contain stamps to ensure reply". Pay for enlisted men was $11 per month. A bounty was an inducement to volunteer enlistment, a bribe so to speak, paid by the well to do, who wanted to avoid service.
For the full story visit "Cincinnati Civil War Round Table/ Soldiers Pay" by William C. Moffat, Jr., by Google search.

Monday, July 4, 2011


Philadelphia Inquirer July 4th 1909
Chalkley Mansion was said to have been built by the Quaker Missionary by that name around 1701, when he first settled on the plantation of forty five hundred acres at Frankford on the Delaware. Chalkley was also master of his own sailing vessel with which he traded in the West Indies and used to spread the Quaker Religion throughout the early colonies from New England to the Carolina's. For many years past the John Wetherill family has owned the property since early in the 1800's. A son, Edward later had greatly improved the property and made a handsome country home until the Pennsylvania Railroad built a bridge across the Delaware and ran its tracks within yards of the mansion. Lately the property has been a delightful country home for children and their mothers when Edward Wetherill loaned the stately mansion to the College Settlement of Philadelphia. It will soon be closed and become a municipal improvement, an industrial park.

Sunday, July 3, 2011


It was near the middle of the year 1669 that the Swedish adventurer, one Marcus Jacobson, alias John Brickson, &c., but better known to the inhabitants of the Delaware Colony as "Long Finn" because of his lofty stature. Long Finn had succeeded in imposing himself on the Swedes as the son of Konnigsmark, a noted general of Sweden, and it was alleged , was inciting the settlers of that nationality to rebellion against the English authority. with the design of re-establishing the Swedish power to the province. With his was associated a wealthy Finn, Henry Coleman. The Rev. Lawrence Lock, former Swedish Chaplin , was said to have played the "Trumpeter" to the disorder, and Mrs Pappygoya, a daughter of Governor Printz, was charged with intermeddling " in so unworthy a design".
Governor Lovelace, of the New York Colony, issued an order for the arrest of Long Finn and his fellow conspirators on August 2, 1669. Along with the arrest order were instructions as to the manner in which a trial should be conducted and this trial became the first 'trial by jury' in Delaware..
A Captain Carry caused the arrest of the Long Finn, who was thrown into the fort at New Castle on Delaware in 'irons'. Henry Coleman \, learning of his intended apprehension , abandoned his property, fled to the Indians, with whom he seemed to have had a great influence, and is never more heard of. Dominic Lock and Mrs. Pappehoya gave security for their appearance to answer the charges against them when required.
The case was held at New Castle, December 6, 1669 and heard by the commission appointed by the governor and the jury. The jury, as was expected, found Jacobson guilty who was thereupon sentenced in accordance with the punishment prescribed by the Council, that Long Finn Maucus Jacobson, " shall be publicly and severely whipped and branded in the face with the letter "R" , with a larger inscription upon his breast, after which he be secured until he can be sent and sold to the Barbadoes or some other remote plantation".
On January 25, 1670, the "Long Finn" was put aboard the ship "Fort Albany" and transported and sold to the Barbadoes, after which date nothing further respecting him is known.
The accomplices were sentenced to forfeit to the King, one half of their goods and chattels, while a small fine was placed upon those of lesser note.
This case will always be an interesting one for it is the first recorded trial under the English on the Delaware in which a prisoner was formally indited, arraigned, and had a jury of twelve men impaneled, subject to challange of the prisoner, who are charged to render a verdict in accordance with the evidence.
Source: "History of Delaware Colony- Ashmead-Chapter XVIII"

Friday, July 1, 2011


Mr. Grey, an ingenious gentleman of Sussex County, on the Delaware, invented a non-explosive burning fluid, and invited a few friends ro come witness a test of its qualities. He gathered a select circle around a barrel of the fluid in a garret and to prove how non-explosive it was, stirred it with a red hot poker. Within seconds, the inventor and his friends were seen to emerge through the roof, with pieces of wood, shingles and other 'things' on their heads, on the way northwest toward the river, all enjoying a birds eye view of Sussex county at some thousad feet above sea level. Mr. Grey observed to a friend nearest him that he thought he had made a mistake and mixed too much benzine in the fluid. Mr. Greys widow will sell the patent for the non-explosive fluid very cheap, she needing the money badly because Mr. Grey was scattered so much around Sussex County when he came down that she had to bury him gradually for the next three weeks.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Seaford Native Holds 90th Birthday Celebration in San Antonio Texas

Major Thomas Rhodes Hazzard celebrates his 90th birthday , ninty years old because he never let anything worry him. The celebrattion was at his son in laws home, Dr. A. L. Breeding, on Thursday at 5511 South Loop, where he had made his home the past few years.
Ever since he was born, October 16, 1834, he has never let misfortune get the best of his spirit and he is still here with the same sort of philosophy, ready to impart to the younger man who is wise enough to listen.
Major Hazzards birthplace was Seaford, Delaware, his parents were Rhodes and Nancy White Hazzard, Rhodes being the 1830's Seaford blacksmith at the northwest corner of Market and Second Street. He married Mary Jane Ellegood of Seaford, daughter of Joshua Atkinson Ellegood and his wife Ann Houston Griffith Ellegood. Mary Jane died in 1878 at St. Louis, after raising six children, four of which still are living.
A son, Seth Ellegood Hazzard, of New york and San Diego, California, is a distinguished traveler and was present at the openng of King Tut's tomb in Egypt. His other children are Edgar J. Hazzard and Mrs. Edward J. Miller of Oklahoma City, Mrs. Henry C. Hawkin of St. Louis and Mrs. A. L. Breeding of San Antonio.
Major Hazzard was in Minnesota at the time of the Indian massacre in the early 1860's and was given the rank of major in recognition of distinguished service. He was wounded and operated on by the father of the Mayo Brothers in Rochester, Minnesta.
His later years were spent with his children in Oklahoma City and California. He came alone from there to San Antonio four years ago.
He is an interesting conversationalist and remembers many notable events of his early years and is well read and traveled and has a remarkable memory. He sings the old songs and quotes poetry and the Bible, showing a general disregard of his ninty years.
Major Thomas Rhodes Hazzard, native of Seaford, Delaware, sailor, indian fighter, Major, Deputy U. S. Marshall, trader and farmer, died at his daughters home in San Antonio Texas on 17 November 1924 and was buried at Oklahoma City.

Sunday, May 15, 2011


The February 24, 1911 issue of the Philadelphia Inquirer in the Sussex County Snapshots section states “ after an unsuccessful attempt to raise the sunken wreck of the steamer Marie Thomas, at Milton, the wreckers have postponed and other attempts until better weather. The machinery has all been removed by divers and nothing but the hull remains”.

The 1911 Annual Report of U. S. Army Chief of Engineers, under the date of November 9, 1911, mentioned that “ the wreck of the steamer Marie Thomas, lying sunk in Broadkill River, Delaware, was found to be a wooden vessel, 96 feet long, 24 foot beam, 6-1/2 feet depth of hold and of 187 gross tonnage , lying opposite side of channel from wharves of Milton. Additional to the $25 allotted for 'examination' , $500 had been allotted for removal , was advertised and a contract made with Richards Dredging Company of Philadelphia”. Their winning bid was $295.00. The 1912 Annual Report of U.S. Army Chief of Engineers list “work began February 19 and completed February 29, 1912, that the wreck was broken up and parts placed ashore above high water line”. The total cost was $496.12 which included supervision, tariff, etc.

1906 was the official building date of the Marie Thomas, being built at Milton by Master Carpenter James P. Davidson on an order of Captain George Edward MeGee who was a retired Coastal Trade Schooner Master. MeGee had her built to ship products of his timber business from Milton to Philadelphia. The Marie Thomas was the first documented ship built at Milton to have auxiliary mechanical power, in the form of a 60 HP 'diesel' engine.

Captain MeGee was registered as sole owner and master was Andrew J. Davidson, with home port being Milton. Captain MeGee later sold shares and one of the owners, W. H. Thomas , whose wife the ship was named after. 1908 the Thomas was converted to a 'steamer' , and had two of her three mast removed and a 'freight house' was built on deck to carry packaged cargo.

Some time before the night of December 3, 1910 the Thomas arrived at her Milton wharf and during that night the town fire bell was sounded, the Marie Thomas was on fire. In spite of the efforts of fire fighters, she burned to the water edge and drifted to the channel and settled.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Description: Places of Interest Upon the Delaware River and Bay.
The Lazaretto

Date: May 7 2011

Newspaper published in: Philadelphia

Source: U Penn collection

The Lazaretto, Americas Oldest Quarantine Station:

Hidden away along the riverfront banks of the Delaware River just a stone's throw from I-95 and west of the Philadelphia International Airport stands the oldest surviving quarantine facility, 1643 to 1893, in the Western Hemisphere, and the sixth oldest in the world.
The Lazaretto Quarantine Station served as the gateway to Philadelphia in a crucial period of the Nations growth during 1801 to 1895. During the warm weather months, when the traffic was heaviest and imported epidemics threatened, all arriving ships, passengers and cargo were inspected there and quarantined if necessary. Vessels and cargo were disinfected and sick passengers and crew members were treated in the Lazaretto Hospital.
The name Lazaretto derives from St. Lazarus, Patron Saint of the Lepers. Maritime quarantine stations were known as lazaeetto's and were established in European port cities beginning in the late 14th centuries.
The Lazaretto site spans the area from the Delaware River to Second Street and consiste of an 18th century building and a historic burial grounds at the northeast corner. It has been called the "Ellis Island" or Philadelphia but from a historical standpoint it is much more precious and even rarer, being a century older, the origional 1799 Lazareyyo structure still stands as a silent monument to the first hundred years of our nations history of immigration and public health. In 1799 this station was established in response to the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1793, it included a large main building, several out buildings and a burial ground.
Before there was a quarantine station this site, also known as Point-no-point and Tinicum, was part of the 1643 Swedish settlement and before that known to have been the home of Lenni Lenape Native Americans.
The early part of the 20th Century, this location took om a new life as the first seaplane base in Pennsylvania, also one of the first in the United States, for an early chapter in aviation history.
Source: David Barnes, University of Pennsylvania

Thursday, April 28, 2011

1720's Quakertown in Sussex on the Delaware.

Outside of Lewes there are but few business places established in the Lewes-Rehoboth Hundred, except some transacted at Quakertown, two miles west of Lewes, which was a hamlet of fifteen families up until 1725. A Public House was kept there, the Militia did their training at that place and elections were also held there. Near where was built the residence of Gideon Prettyman stood the pillory and whipping post which were used as long as the courts were held in Lewes. In latter years this place became known as Prettymanville. In 1887 stores there were kept by William Prettyman and A. Cord. There were also a few mechanics shops.

The growth and improvement of Lewes had not been very eventful and in 1721 it was reported as a large and handsome town on the banks of the Delaware. Five years later there wrre fifty eight families at this place and fifteen at Quakertown. 1807 Lewes had about eighty buildings and that number was not increased much until after the Civil War. Twelve years after that event, in which period the railroads were built, 150 new homes had been added and the population was estimated at eighteen hundred.

In 1887 there were within the corporate limits about two thousand souls, five churches, a fine union school, a hotel and at least thirty places of business, including a telegraph office established in 1852.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

4th of July at Mardela Springs Hotel

Edward Austin operated the Mardela Springs Hotel during the later part of the 1890's, before it burned in 1914. The 4th of July great celebrations, the square dances on the weekends and the daily drinking of mineral water from the spring near the hotel, are to be remembered. All summer long, and some time during the winter too if the weather was mild, folks from other parts of the Eastern Shore, and Baltimore, would come to the hotel to drink the health giving waters. The spring was covered with an octagonal pagoda which was always cool and quiet inside. Strolling down the foot path from the hotel, guest would often spend an hour of so in the "springhouse" on hot summer evenings, just talking and drinking the irony, flat tasting, spring water. A circular wooden bench which ringed the springhouse would accommodate twenty five or so people.
The spring water bubbled from the earth into a wooden trough and the supposed health restoring water, could be scooped in a tin cup or glass.
The hotel was a three and half story frame building, most always painted white, but sometimes a light yellow, the window shutters and trim painted either dark green or brown. It wad 30 rooms, each furnished with a bed, bureau and a couple of chairs, and a wash stand with a bowl. The spring water was furnished in a jug to each guest.

The weekly square dances were held in a special section of the small two story section at the far end of the hotel or on nice nights the caller and fiddlers would move outside and have the people dance on the porches.
During the 4th of July event the whole community would join the hotels guest on the lawn, some set up booths to sell home made candy, gingersnaps and lemonade for a penny a glass. The hotel would be decorated in red, white and blue bunting and flags would fly from everything. Fireworks were always displayed in the evening.
Most of the hotel guest were families on vacation who came by railroad to Mardela and stayed a week or two. Often, traveling salesmen, especially the tobacco salesmen, who traveled up and down the shore, would stay there too. Life here was informal, the hotel had a lobby as did most hotels those days, a check in desk for registering and picking up keys if you wanted to lock your room. Meals were served family style on a large room length table in the dinning room at which everyone ate.
The men would fish in the day at Barren Creek behind the hotel or ride horses from the hotels stables through the many bridal paths in the area. Women did not ride horses then and stayed at the hotel and enjoyed visiting. If a family wanted to go bathing they would take a train ride to Ocean City, a day long affair, leaving early in the morning and returning after dark.

This article was transcribed from the Baltimore Sun Magazine, issue June 23, 1963 and written by Mrs. Travers Willing, a niece of Edward Austin.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Accessible Archives new edit
Contributed by Harrison

Description: Ellendale Methodist Episcopal Church

Date: Various 2011

Newspaper published in: Pennsylvania

Source: archives

The Ellendale Methodist Episcopal Church:

On July 16, 1873, William McColley granted to Alfred Heavelow, William Short, James M. Jester, Bevans Morris and Alfred Short, a tract of land for a church, parsonage and school.
A school and parsonage costing $500 were soon erected and the church was commenced in 1882 and dedicated December 31st of that year by the Rev. Mr. Johathan S. Willis.
The building committee, composed of Elias B. Reed, Alfred Short, and Benjamin E. Jester, erected a neat frame edifice, thirty bu forty-four feet at a cost of $1,200.00 . The membership was twenty five communicants and a connected Sunday School containing twenty scholars under the superintendency of James H. Jester.
The church has always been connected with the Ellendale Circuit and the pulpit has been filled by the pastors of that Circuit.

Sunday, March 20, 2011


Search For Obituary Records At Archives!

Pennsylvania Gazette new edit
Contributed by Harrison

Description: A Lighthouse and Buoy Markers For the Delaware 1767

Date: September 10 1767

Newspaper published in: Philadelphia

Source: Accessible Archives Newspapers

Philadelphia, 10 September 1767 :

THE COMMISSIONERS appointed by ACT OF ASSEMBLY of the Province of Pennsylvania, for building a LIGHTHOUSE at Cape Henlopen and fixing buoys in the Bay of Delaware, having now completed this service, think proper to make public the Situation of said Buoys in hopes that the directions following may prove useful to the SHIPPING bound up or down this bay.

Directions for sailing into the Whorekiln Road.

1. A red Buoy is stationed on the SE Point of the Shears, in Four Fathom Water. The Lighthouse bears from this Buoy S by E and the outer Point of the Cape S by E, half E. The Course of the Cape bears SE by E, the Buoy NNE and Lewes Town SW, THEN there is Anchorage in four Fathom Water, good Ground.

2. A large black Buoy is stationed on the Lower Part of the Brown, in Three and a Quarter Fathom Water, which is to be left on the Larboard Hand when bound up the Bay. The Lighthouse bears from this Buoy S Three Quarters E. Cape May bears E On Quarter Sand the Buoy on the Lower Point of the Brandywine N One Quarter W.

3. A Buoy on the Lower Part on the Brandywine, in Four Fathom Water: The Body of this Buoy is painted black, with white rim and black head. Cape May bears from this Buoy ESE One quarter E, the Buoy on the Brown S One quarter E. Muspilion W. The Buoy on the Upper Part of the Brandywine NNW Onr qquarter W. From this Buoy, in coming up, the course is NW by N as high as the Breakers, which lie about Midway between the two Buoys, and it is steep too; When you are abrest of the Breakers, at the Distance of a Cable Length from them, the Course is NNW some time then N will bring you to the upper Buoy on the Brandywine, which lies in Five Fathom Water.

4. A large Buoy in the upper Part of the Brandywine, in Five Fathom Water, painted white next the Water, the middle Part red, with a black rim, the Head a black Ground with ffour white Squares, Cape May bears from this Buoy SE by N. Muspilion W by S Three Quarters W. The Lower Buoy on the Brandywine , SSE One Quarter E and the Breakers on the Height of the Shoal, SSE Half E.

5. A large white Buoy , on the LOwer End of the Cross Ledge , in Three and Half Fathom Water: Egg Island bears from this Buoy E Half N, fotescue Island NE by N One qqquaed E. The Lower Part of Bombay Hook NW. A remarkable Tree in the Motherkln SW Hale W and the Buoy on the Upper Middle NW Half N.

6. A black Buoy on the Upper Middle, in Seventeen Feet Water: The Lower Part of Bombay Hook , intersecting the Uppermost of the Thrum Caps, bear from this buoy NW Half W. The Thrum Caps NW by W. Fortescue Island E by N Three quarters N and the Buoy on the Cross Ledge SE Half S. This Buoy lies on the Height of the Shoal, in Seventeen Feer Water, at low Tide and Vessels of 14 or 15 Feet may go over any time of Tide:

NB The Sounding of the Buoys are taken at Low Water.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

True Republican new edit
Contributed by Harrison

Description: The Recent Delaware Election of Federalists Truit and Van Dyke

Date: December 16 1807

Newspaper published in: Connecticut

Source: newspaper/archives

Page/Column: Weekly Register of Politics and News.

Delaware closely adheres to her own partialities. At a recent election there, George Truit of Kent County, was chosen Governor, and Nicholas VanDyke representative in Congress.
They are both Federalists. Delaware is a small state ans to that circumstance I attribute the continued predominance of Federal principals among the people. In one county, the voters are as well drilled to the service of their leaders as a company of regular soldiers in the Pussian service are to the orders of their captain. I really mean no offense to the people of Sussex , but they would appear a great more respectable in the eyes of their fellow countrymen if they were to free themselves from that vassalage under which they labor, and act a little bit more independent.

From Wikipedia the free encyclopedia:

George Truit, 1756-1818, was an american farmer and politician from Muderkill Hundred in Kent county, Delaware, near Felton. He was a member of the Federalist Party who served in the Delaware General Assembly ans as governor of Delaware. He was a descendant of a George Truit who settled in Accomack county in Virginia in the 17th Century. He was married to Margaret Hodgson and had a daughter Sarah. The farm was east of Felton on the Canterbury Road and they also had a town home at 12 South Main Street in Camden. The family were Methodist. He remains are now at Barratts Cemetery.

Nicholas Van Dyke, 1738-1789, was an American Lawyer and Politician from New Castle, serving in the Delaware Assembly, a Continental Congressman and President [Governor] of Delaware. Van Dyke was born at the family home, Berwick, in St. Georges Hundred, the son of Nicholas and Rachel Alee Van Dyke. He was home educated and read law in Philadelphia, returning home to begin practice. He married twice, first to Elizabeth Nixon who died giving birth to their first child, Rachael in 1767. He then married Charlotte Stanley, and they had four children, Nancy Ann, Mary, Nicholas, and Harry. The were members of the Immanuel Episcopal Church. He died at Berwick, buried there but later his remains were buried in the New Castle Episcopal Church Yard.

ublic Advertiser new edit
Contributed by Harrison

Description: Thomas Nelson Dies at Milton, Delaware Home of William Perry.

Date: September 23 1807

Newspaper published in: Philadelphia

Source: newspapre archives/bank

Died: On Monday the 14th September, inst., of a bilious fever, at the home of Mr. William Perry near the village of Milton, in the county of Sussex, and state of Delaware - THOMAS NELSON, a native of Ireland and one of the brave fellows who in July last, raised on the officers and crew of the British armed schooner Hornet, and freed themselves from the fangs of tyranny. Before his death, Mr. Nelson informed Mr. Perry that he had a sister married to a man of the name Robert Patterson, who lived within eleven miles of Pittsburgh in the state of Pennsylvania and that before he was impressed into the British service he had resided for four years principally in that neighborhood. Printers in Pittsburgh and other towns in the western country will serve the cause of humanity by publishing the above two or three times.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Lewes People of Interest.

The Daily Nevada State Journal new edit
Contributed by Harrison

Description: Dr. Rodney Hall Richardson of /Lewes, Delaware Doctoring Nevada Piutes at Pyramid Lake Reservation.

Date: October 6 1887

Source: newspapre archives

Page/Column: Town & Country Section

Nevada Agency, Nevada - Thursday Oct. 6, 1887:

Dr. Rodney Hall Richardson, of Lewes, Delaware, who was recently appointed Agency Physician of Nevada Agency, Nevada, arrived at Pyramid Lake Reservation last Sunday. The doctor is a 26 year old, a genial young man, and it is hoped that he will meet with success in his practice with the Piutes.

[ Dr. Robinson is the son of Ephraim and Eliza Landreth Hall Richardson of Lewes, Delaware. Mr. Richardson is a grocery merchant at that place, having moved there from Snow Hill Maryland where he was born, when married Eliza Hall, a daughter born in 1834, to Dr. Henry F. Hall and his wife Hester Rodney, both of Lewes. They also have a daughter, Allena. Eliza's grandfather, Joseph Hall, was also a physician at Lewes in the late 1700's. The Hall family are descendant of David Hall, a Mayflower descendant. Dr. Richardson married Penelope Plummer in 1888 in Indiana. Her parents were George Fayette Plummer of Dorchester county Maryland and Lavinia Jane Layton of Georgetown, Delaware. Rodney and Penelope had a daughter, Dorothy, born 21st February 1894 in the State of Oregon.]

Saturday, January 29, 2011

About William Barkley Cooper, Governor

Description: Ex-Governor Cooper Dies at Laurel Home.

Date: May 4 1849

Newspaper published in: Philadelphia

Source: newspapre archives/bank

Page/Column: Delaware State Journal Special

Laurel, Del., May 1, 1849

Ex=Governor William B. Ccooper died suddenly on the 27th ult, at his residence near Laurel, Delaware. He was a highly esteemed gentleman in his 78th year.

[ William Barkley Cooper was born December 16, 1771 to Isaac and Comfort Barkley Townsend Cooper at Laurel, Sussex county, Delaware. He was the 32nd Governor of Delaware, serving one term, 1841 until 1847. He was a member of the Whig political party of Delaware and had held political seats in the county and state since 1797. His maternal grandfather, Barkley Townsend, originally from Dorchester county Maryland, was a large property owner in the lower part of Delaware. His father and a brother, Thomas, also held political positions in the state. Nancy Jones was his first wife and they had one son, William T. After Nancy's death, he remarried twice, to Nelly Warren in 1816 and last to Jane Townsend Palmer, in 1828 but had no more children.
William Barkley Cooper was a Methodist and lived in Laurel at the corner of 4th and King streets. His military service was with the Delaware Militia as Captain of the 3ed Brigade of the Troop of Horse. It is known that he was a good conversationalist, but with a high temper and was in the habit of hard swearing when angry.
The son, William T., left Delaware for the South during the Civil War and fought with the Confederates, being captured and held in the Fort Delaware prison camp.]