Wednesday, May 19, 2010


Baltimore American new edit
Contributed by Harrison

Share Print Save to List Discussion (0) E-Mail Report

Description: Late War Brought Tasty Scrapple Into Popularity.

Date: February 11 1921

Newspaper published in: Baltimore, Maryland

Source: newspaper
Baltimore, Md., Feb., 11, 1921:

The late war, WWI, has taught the Baltimore housewife many small economies and various dishes that were ignored before the high cost of living brought the "cheaper cut" and all other money saving devices into their own.
Among the humble concoctions with which the epicurean palates became acquainted is one found of so great favor that it continues in popularity today, it rejoices in the encompassing name of "scrapple". Scrapple may be purchased at the markets, or more economically, made at home which disposes of a lot of left over problems. It is a two fold blessing.
Here is how to make scrapple.
Boil all bones, scrap and skins in plain water until the meat is free of the bones, then dip out all solids and separate the meats and bones. Run the meat through the chopper until it is very fine.
Be sure to increase the quantity of the liquor in the boiler by adding 10 to 15 per cent more water, and keep it at a boil.
Prepare a mix of cornmeal, 50%, buckwheat, 25%. The buckwheat is what will make the delicious brown crust when it is fried.
Into the boiling liquor, add salt and black pepper, along the line of three pounds of salt and one pound of black pepper to 60 gallons. Then thicken the liquor with with the grain mix until the stirrer stands up unsupported in the boiler. Now work in the chopped meat, mixing thoroughly, then dip out into shallow pans which should hold from 5 to 10 pounds. Set these full tins aside to cool on an open rack.
Once a single slice is eaten by the consumer, well fried, cut to a half inch thickness, with it own crisp golden brown crust from the fry pan, they will have no grudges of the cost of it.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

History of Seaford -1799-1856 by Robert Boyce Hazzard /Chapter 3 Continnued

James Martin, also a sailor, was captain of a schooner plying between Seaford and Baltimore who died on his vessel on a return trip home. He had a very interesting family, Elizabeth, who married Henry Rawlings and died but a few years ago in Greensboro, Levica, married first to James Rembold and second to Twiford Nobel, both of Caroline County Maryland. Two brothers, James and Orland, died young. James was lost at sea the same time as Hugh's son, Robert. Orlando married twice, first to Sarah J. Swiggett and second to Sarah Hinds and all of these have passed away. The home of James Martin was down Cedar Lane, where the railroad depot now is.

Three other men came to Seaford in its early history and became prominent business men and useful citizens. They were Solomon, Joel and Asbury Prettyman, brothers, came from near Lewes. Solomon the eldest was a local preacher of more than ordinary ability but was not successful in his financial operations. He engaged in the manufacture of pig iron, the forge being at Collins Mill where at that time, the land around the the head of the Nanticoke river yielded considerable iron ore. He also engaged in the manufacture of 'black oak bark' which was made into a fine dust and used for dyeing fabric. That mill was one the corner of Market and High streets. He built the first house to stand where the tavern has for many years. It was called Solomon's Temple and considered a fine dwelling. He and his wife lived there until 1834 when they moved to Wilmington where he started a school for young ladies, named Wesleyan Seminary. He died a few years later. He and his wife had no children.
Joel was another sea faring man, sailed a fine schooner, "The Rising Sun", between Seaford and Baltimore. Later, he returned to his old homestead near Lewes and lived to a very old age. He had the good fortune to marry well and had a good sized family. A Milford doctor, Dr. J. S. Prettyman, was their first born, James, the second child died when a young man in Milford whilst he was editor and publisher of the "Peninsula News".
Asbury, was very young when he came to Seaford and was engaged in the mercantile business but remained but a few years. He had married Sarah Little, the only child of Henry Little. They moved to Philadelphia and he continued engaged in the commission business. He and his wife lived to an old age, the wife surviving him by several years. Asbury was also kown to preach in the Methodist Episcopal Church.

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Robert Boyce Hazzard's History of Seaford, 1799-1856, continue Chapter 3:

James Scott was also one of Seaford' early citizens, and supplied the town with fresh meats. James was known to have been a slave to the love of intoxicants. He was partially reclaimed and brought into the Methodist episcopal Church where Jacob Hazzard became his class leader and by patience and the exercise of brotherly kindness helped him in the great fight with his strong foe.James Scott had a good wife who we believe helped him greatly in his struggle for the mastery he conquered. He passed many years past middle age and died suddenly on the street of Seaford. This couple left four or five children who remained about Seaford, except the eldest, John, who died many tears age.
James Conwell, another early citizen but left before the growth began. He came from near Lewes, about Broadkill, and was very enterprising and had bought all the lots between Market street, north of East street, now High street, to Second street, except for the lots already laid out on Market street. He built the first house on the north side of East street and lived there for a few years when he sold all of his property in Seaford to Levin Cannon and moved to Indiana where he became very wealthy and highly esteemed.
William Conwell, also from the Broadkill area, early in the history of the village, and was a merchant on the corner of North and West Streets. He died in 1831 during the memorable deep snow storm of the winter. His widow survived him but a few years. Their son, David,continued the business and kept store. After his mothers death he began to preach and disappointed all of his acquaintances, but died suddenly the first year of his ministry in Dorchester county at the home of James W. Sherman. William and his wife lived in a home he built at the corner of West and Front Streets, now the property of heirs of Henry Hopkins.
Before William Conwell came to Seaford village, his daughter came about 1812 from Lewes after the British had bombarded it. She was one of the class of women who make a good and lasting impression on all who know them. She became the wife of Levin Cannon, one of Seaford's best citizens who came to the village sometime in early 1800.He, too, was a merchant, at the corner of North and Water streets. He became a very prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a very enterprising business man. He purchased land between Pine street and the Delaware Railroad toward the county road. He built the home,the long time residence of the Cannons, where Mrs. Ann Cannon died but a few months ago. He also built a small store on the corner of Pine and High streets and continued in business there until his death in 1838. He died comparatively young, his widow surviving him over forty eight years. There were seven children to this family, all deceased but one, William, now well known and highly esteemed.

Captain Hugh Martin became very prominent and prosperous in the early village and was one of the few of the first settlers Seaford who was raised thereabouts and entered his manhood about 1818. His parents were among the very first settles and kept a hotel on Water street between North and Market. This house was moved uptown and repaired and is now used as a dwelling. Captain Hugh Martin married the very handsome and energetic young Sophia Willis from Milton who often visited in Seaford. Hugh was always a seaman, while young he was a deckhand on a schooner which sailed from Seaford to Baltimore by the Nanticoke River and Chesapeake Bay. He soon became a ships captain and began a coastal trade which left him and the family very wealthy. He lived to an old age and left the family of seven sons and two daughters in affluent circumstances. Sophia, his wife, contributed very largely to his success,and the family honor. Their home was one of the finest in Seaford at that time and has remained in the family more than eighty years, occupied by the family members and then a son, a doctor, during his lifetime. This house was built by his wife during one of his extended sea voyages, over a year, which proved her force of character and qualifications. Their children grew up and remained in Seaford, except Luther, who went to Philadelphia, lived and died there, and was a Methodist minister. The eldesr son, Robert, was lost at sea.

Monday, May 3, 2010

1856 4th July at Georgetowm, from the Delaware State Reporter, newspaper of Dover.

Our National Anniversary was celebrated with more than usual spirit by the citizens of Georgetown and the surrounding county side last Friday. The great feature of the day was a Grand Procession of the I.O.O.P. gotten up by Union Lodge Number 3 and participated in by representations from the Atlantic Lodge of Lewes, Hebron Lodge of Seaford and other Lodges of Sussex. A Brass Band from Philadelphia discoursed sweet and spirit stirring music and contributed greatly to the enjoyment of the day.
As near as could be ascertained, about one hundred members, dressed in the brilliant regalia of the Order, lined up according to its different grades and degrees, marched off at 2 in the afternoon, and after making the town circuit to the Public Square, assembled under the shade of the trees surrounding the Court House, where a stand had been erected with ample accommodations to seat the assembled mulitides.
The Marshall of the Day, John Stokely, Esq., and his aid, P. Norman, Esq., acquitted themselves with tact and skill.
D. Rodney, Esq., the Acting N.G. presided with grace and dignity. The opening prayer by the Chaplin Rev. A. Wallace, was eloquent and impressive. The Declaration of Independence was read by Dr. Charles Richards , followed by an address by the Rev. Mr. Wallace on the early history of our country in its struggle against oppression and tyranny, leading to the glorious Declaration and the scene that day, eighty years ago, when the 'Old Bell of Independence Hall' proclaimed liberty throughout the land and the inhabitants thereof. His address gave great satisfaction to all.
Next followed the 'Orator of the Day', George P. Fisher Esq., who entertained the vast audience with one of the most eloquent outpourings of patriotic sentiment ever heard in Sussex after which the procession again formed , the band played and the audience waited for the display of fireworks.
Never have the citizens of Georgetown enjoyed a more magnificent spectacle than was presented in the Town Square. Rockets rose high among the stares and pailed them by the brilliance of their corrugations. Burning balls of various hues illuminated the darkness and without disorder or accident of any kind, the people disappeared, having enjoyed one of the happiest days.