Friday, March 29, 2013
Georgetown, Delaware, July 30, 1888:
Georgetown is the county seat of Sussex county Delaware located at the junction of the former Junction and Breakwater and the Breakwater and Franklin Railroads, now the Delaware Division of the Pennsylvania. In 1880 it had 710 inhabitants and in 1887 there were 1600, a lot to do with the locating of the C. H. Treat Company, maker of peach baskets and other wood products which employed over 100 people. also there was the Sussex Manufacturing Company which made wood work items for the building business, such as windows, doors, etc. There are three food canning houses, an evaporator of fruit and several smaller business to keep the population working. Georgetown, named for George Mitchell, one of a committee appointed to locate it in 1791. The county seat was moved from Lewes for a more convenient location to the county.
The oldest religious edifice is the St. Paul's Episcopal Church that was originally built in 1794 with money raised by a lottery authorized by the State of Delaware Legislature. Several more lotteries were necessary in the early 1800's to complete it and build a Masonic Hall and Academy There is also a Presbyterian and Methodist church and Catholic's occasionally meet in the Court House.
Georgetown is laid off from a center square with wide shaded streets running at right angles. The court house, the Eagle and the Brick hotel's front on this square. The town has two newspapers, The Sussex Journal, editor McKendree Downham and The Delaware Democrat, editor E. F. Paynter, both newsy weekly journals.
Georgetown has one old custom it has kept for years, Return Day, following elections in November to which Sussex county people flock to the town center to hear the results of election read from the court house door at noon.