LAUREL, SUSSEX COUNTY, DELAWARE
On the 23d of October, 1711, Maryland Legislature provided 3000 acres along Broad Creek for an Indian reservation, laid out by George Gale, Samuel Worthington and Charles Whittington. Is so happened that the Indians did not care to be so confined and most move on to the northwest, leaving the reservation to be sold in 1786 so that the Indian Tribe could be reimbursed.
At this sale the land was purchased by Barkley Townsend and on parts of this property the town of Laurel was plotted, there were three streets running East and West, named Front, Market and Back, the North and South streets were Rye, Wheat, Corn and Lumber.
April 13, 1883, Laurel was incorporated by an Act of Delaware Legislature.