Sunday, November 8, 2009

ROBERT BOYCE HAZZARDS STORY OF SEAFORD

This will be a serial type endeavor, hopefully a post a week for ten or twelve weeks. This History of Seaford was written written by my great-grand father, Robert Boyce Hazzard, my grandmother Howeth's father. Maybe the date of this writing will show up in some of the posting. Robert died in Hurlock, Maryland in 1901 and is buried at Unity-Washington Cemetery there.

First the title, "The History of Seaford; From its First Survey and Plotting in 1799 to the Completion of the Delaware Railroad in 1856." The book I am transcribing from came to me through the Howeth Family from Grandmother Sarah Emma Hazzard Howeth, and it is very 'frail'. I understand the content of this book has been published at least twice and copys are 'out there', however this is probably the first electronic form of it. Thanks to my 'cousin' , Norma Jean Fowler's encouragement of this project. Norma Jean is from the Boyce side. Now to the book.

INTRODUCTION
Eight or nine years ago I conceived the notion that in view of the fact that the Centennial of Seaford was but a few years ahead, a small history of its settlement and a few years of its progress would be interesting to the citizens now living in and around it. My first notion was to write these chapters and offer them to the editor and publisher of the weekly journal here. Upon second thought I concluded to put them in cheap pamplet form and put them on sale as the history is local in its character. But Seaford is the place of my nativity and where I grew to almost manhood, and as I was observant of and remembered much early history, I thought that but a few now living there would remember any better than myself these facts, and that they might not feel disposed to this task.
I was at some pains and a little cost of travel in gathering up th facts of the history which did not come under my own observation, since I was born nearly twenty-four years after its first plotting.
For two reasons I have held this manuscript for all these years, first, the need of funds necessary to its publication; secondly, I thought it would be more opportune as a centennial offering to the people.
I propose to publish the facts of this history in as courteous and respectful manner as possible and hope no one will be offended by any statement which may appear to reflect upon their progenitors who must necessarly figure in the history of Seaford. Robert B. Hazzard

No comments:

Post a Comment