Thursday, May 13, 2010

History of Seaford -1799-1856 by Robert Boyce Hazzard /Chapter 3 Continnued

James Martin, also a sailor, was captain of a schooner plying between Seaford and Baltimore who died on his vessel on a return trip home. He had a very interesting family, Elizabeth, who married Henry Rawlings and died but a few years ago in Greensboro, Levica, married first to James Rembold and second to Twiford Nobel, both of Caroline County Maryland. Two brothers, James and Orland, died young. James was lost at sea the same time as Hugh's son, Robert. Orlando married twice, first to Sarah J. Swiggett and second to Sarah Hinds and all of these have passed away. The home of James Martin was down Cedar Lane, where the railroad depot now is.

Three other men came to Seaford in its early history and became prominent business men and useful citizens. They were Solomon, Joel and Asbury Prettyman, brothers, came from near Lewes. Solomon the eldest was a local preacher of more than ordinary ability but was not successful in his financial operations. He engaged in the manufacture of pig iron, the forge being at Collins Mill where at that time, the land around the the head of the Nanticoke river yielded considerable iron ore. He also engaged in the manufacture of 'black oak bark' which was made into a fine dust and used for dyeing fabric. That mill was one the corner of Market and High streets. He built the first house to stand where the tavern has for many years. It was called Solomon's Temple and considered a fine dwelling. He and his wife lived there until 1834 when they moved to Wilmington where he started a school for young ladies, named Wesleyan Seminary. He died a few years later. He and his wife had no children.
Joel was another sea faring man, sailed a fine schooner, "The Rising Sun", between Seaford and Baltimore. Later, he returned to his old homestead near Lewes and lived to a very old age. He had the good fortune to marry well and had a good sized family. A Milford doctor, Dr. J. S. Prettyman, was their first born, James, the second child died when a young man in Milford whilst he was editor and publisher of the "Peninsula News".
Asbury, was very young when he came to Seaford and was engaged in the mercantile business but remained but a few years. He had married Sarah Little, the only child of Henry Little. They moved to Philadelphia and he continued engaged in the commission business. He and his wife lived to an old age, the wife surviving him by several years. Asbury was also kown to preach in the Methodist Episcopal Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment