James Scott was also one of Seaford' early citizens, and supplied the town with fresh meats. James was known to have been a slave to the love of intoxicants. He was partially reclaimed and brought into the Methodist episcopal Church where Jacob Hazzard became his class leader and by patience and the exercise of brotherly kindness helped him in the great fight with his strong foe.James Scott had a good wife who we believe helped him greatly in his struggle for the mastery he conquered. He passed many years past middle age and died suddenly on the street of Seaford. This couple left four or five children who remained about Seaford, except the eldest, John, who died many tears age.
James Conwell, another early citizen but left before the growth began. He came from near Lewes, about Broadkill, and was very enterprising and had bought all the lots between Market street, north of East street, now High street, to Second street, except for the lots already laid out on Market street. He built the first house on the north side of East street and lived there for a few years when he sold all of his property in Seaford to Levin Cannon and moved to Indiana where he became very wealthy and highly esteemed.
William Conwell, also from the Broadkill area, early in the history of the village, and was a merchant on the corner of North and West Streets. He died in 1831 during the memorable deep snow storm of the winter. His widow survived him but a few years. Their son, David,continued the business and kept store. After his mothers death he began to preach and disappointed all of his acquaintances, but died suddenly the first year of his ministry in Dorchester county at the home of James W. Sherman. William and his wife lived in a home he built at the corner of West and Front Streets, now the property of heirs of Henry Hopkins.
Before William Conwell came to Seaford village, his daughter came about 1812 from Lewes after the British had bombarded it. She was one of the class of women who make a good and lasting impression on all who know them. She became the wife of Levin Cannon, one of Seaford's best citizens who came to the village sometime in early 1800.He, too, was a merchant, at the corner of North and Water streets. He became a very prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a very enterprising business man. He purchased land between Pine street and the Delaware Railroad toward the county road. He built the home,the long time residence of the Cannons, where Mrs. Ann Cannon died but a few months ago. He also built a small store on the corner of Pine and High streets and continued in business there until his death in 1838. He died comparatively young, his widow surviving him over forty eight years. There were seven children to this family, all deceased but one, William, now well known and highly esteemed.
Captain Hugh Martin became very prominent and prosperous in the early village and was one of the few of the first settlers Seaford who was raised thereabouts and entered his manhood about 1818. His parents were among the very first settles and kept a hotel on Water street between North and Market. This house was moved uptown and repaired and is now used as a dwelling. Captain Hugh Martin married the very handsome and energetic young Sophia Willis from Milton who often visited in Seaford. Hugh was always a seaman, while young he was a deckhand on a schooner which sailed from Seaford to Baltimore by the Nanticoke River and Chesapeake Bay. He soon became a ships captain and began a coastal trade which left him and the family very wealthy. He lived to an old age and left the family of seven sons and two daughters in affluent circumstances. Sophia, his wife, contributed very largely to his success,and the family honor. Their home was one of the finest in Seaford at that time and has remained in the family more than eighty years, occupied by the family members and then a son, a doctor, during his lifetime. This house was built by his wife during one of his extended sea voyages, over a year, which proved her force of character and qualifications. Their children grew up and remained in Seaford, except Luther, who went to Philadelphia, lived and died there, and was a Methodist minister. The eldesr son, Robert, was lost at sea.