1902 BIRTH OF AN OCEAN RESORT
The eastern shore is looking toward a new seaside resort on the Atlantic Coast at Fenwick's Island which s separated from the mainland by Assawoman Bay, which will be established by men prominent in business and politics of Maryland and Delaware.
The island for years has been used as a hunting preserve as the wild ducks have made it a favorite to the hunters of many northern cities. It is at the head of Isle of Wright Bay, the northern part of Sinepuxent Bay, 10 miles from Ocean City, 14 miles south from Rehoboth. Fenwick's is close to the Gulf Stream which keeps extreme cold weather away and is well set with oak and pine, therefore a health resort. Fenwick Island is a narrow strip of sandy land extending from Fenwick Life Saving Station in Delaware to Isle of Wright Life Saving Station in Maryland, 5 miles in length and 1 to 1-1/2 miles wide. The Mason Line Line cuts the island in half.
A camp meeting has been held here every August for the past five years by the Methodist Protestant Conference of Maryland.
This gathering, drawing families from Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and Virginia, has made known the Island's unexcelled natural advantages as a fine bathing place.
The more prominent stockholder developers are determined to make the island , containing over 2000 acres, into a first class sea side year around resort. What we know of their plans contemplate erection of a hotel and a gunners club house. They plan a trolley line from the sea side to Frankford to meet the Delaware, Maryland & Virginia Railroad for passengers and freight.
Surveyors from Georgtown Delaware, under B. Frank Wagamon, are laying out streets and lots. To provide a wide beach the building line is set at 300 feet from the high water mark. According to W. B. Taylor of Philadelphia, representing the developers, the land has been purchased and cottage erection has been started.
Streets and avenues will be named for prominent politicians, Saulsbury, Keaney, Lea, Gorman, Gray, Bayard, Hunn, McKinley, Roosevelt and Schley.
On the Mason Dixon Line stands the Fenwick Island Lighthouse, 80 foot high . Off shore 13 miles is the Fenwick Island Lightship at the dangerous Fenwick Island Shoals during fogs.
A unique feature of the island is the white oak grove where the camp meeting is situated. It is the only grove of such trees on the barren sands from Cape Henlopen to Chincoteaue Bay. The beach, free of stones, pebbles and shells , no undertow. Assawoman Bay, unsurpassed for fishing, boating and sailing,about an hour and 1-1/4 from Ocean City.
Those interested in the development of Fenwick's Island Resort are; Willard Saulsbury, Preston Lea, directior of Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore Railroad and president of the Wilmington Trust & Equitable Bank, Mr Frank Taylor of Vulcanized Fiber of Wilmington, William Kenworthy, Capelle Hardware of Wilmington and Evert Hickman of Georgetown. Captain John Long of the Fenwick's Lighthouse , stockholder, a member of the executive committee of the camp meeting, is greatly interested in the project.
JULY 30 1902 BALTIMORE SUN, BALTIMORE, MARYLAND. SOURCE