SAINT AGNES CATHOLIC CHURCH
St. Agnes Catholic Church was completed July 1st , 1906 and was the only Catholic Church of Sussex County, Delaware, and was attended by a large number of Baltimoreans who annually visit the resort.
It is a frame built structure set to seat 200 people and adjoins the St, Agnes by the Sea summer house of the Sisters of St. Francis, Brooklyn Avenue and Boardwalk. The cost was $2300, half of which has been paid. The church has a tower that contains a powerful light for mariners and marks the wreck of the Merrimack at the foot of Brooklyn Avenue. Heretofore, Catholic Services were held in a private cottage.
A larger, $50,000 Gothic architecture church structure, two years under construction, located on a triangular corner lot at Laurel Street and King Charles Avenue, to replace St. Agnes, held its first service Sunday, May 12, 1940, is St. Edmond's Roman Catholic Church. This service was in charge of the Rev. E. J. McCarthy who had been with St. Agnes By the Sea. He was assisted by the Rev. Daniel Powers.
St Agnes By The Sea will be retained as a chapel for the Franciscan Nuns who have the convent adjacent.
St. Edmond's was built by the John Joyce contracting firm of Wilmington. Gleason & Mulrooney of Philadelphia were the architects.
Abstracr by Harrison Howeth 2017, Wilmington morning News, and Baltimore Sun, newspaper articles.