1884 LEWES COAST GUARD STATION
RETIRED IN 1938 IS NOW BACK IN SERVICE AS
REHOBOTH BEACH VFW POST 7447 IN 1949.
The old Lewes original Coast Guard Station, tired and retired, has been drafted back into service by another service branch this time, The Veterans of Foreign Wars, at it's third site.
The Rehoboth VFW Post 7447 recently purchased the ancient structure that first housed the Lewes Coast Guard back in 1884, and have moved it to Rehoboth Beach. It is now getting a face lift and will be the home of the local VFW.
This is the second time the old station as had it's beam loaded up and moved over the highway. First trip was in 1938 when the handsome new Coast Guard Station was built at Lewes Beach, purchased by Stephen Pierce who moved it to the 'Point of Capes' and made it into a 'Gentleman’s Club' sort of night club affair.
During the World War Two period when Fort Miles was built around it, it was used as the Officers Club and other military offices, it again served its purpose to the country.
In 1949, standing in an abandoned state since the wars end, it reverted to government surplus status , purchased by the Rehoboth VFW , cut in half and drug seven miles to Rehoboth Avenue and State Road. The old cupola, that once served as a look out tower of the original life saving crew, was discarded and the new 1949 look made it difficult to recognize.
The post commander , John 'Jack' Martin had the finest structural material seen in the area for some time, fine maple flooring, heavy oak beams and such utilized within the interior remodeling. The first floor became a large hall to be used for community meetings, post activities and dances, etc. There are smaller meeting rooms, locker room, rest rooms, kitchen and dinning hall, and a basement. The construction program was headed by Charles Nyburn of Rehoboth, a contractor.
The property it sits on , a grove of sturdy pine trees, overlooking the Country Club, was donated by the City of Rehoboth .
Rehoboth VFW is one of the newest post in the state, organized three years ago. The first commander was William Henning, John Roberts, the second and Alton Townsend the third. The officers today are Commander, Martin, senior vice, William Williams, junior vice, Edward Chedd, secretary, George 'Bugs' Thoroughgood, and Robert Lynch, treasurer.