October 2, 1788, the Maryland Gazette of Annapolis, Maryland printed the notice that “is hereby given , that the justices of Dorchester county, intend to prefer a petition to the next general assembly of Maryland, to make the road which leads from Talbot Town to Akers Ferry a public road”.
AKERS FERRY SITE
1722 – 1935
CHOPTANK RIVER MILE
In 1722 permission was granted to Henry Bullen to operate a ferry across the Choptank River. The ferry essentially operated where the Fredrick C . Malkus Bridge, also once known as Emerson C Harrington Bridge, which carries Maryland route 50 over the Choptank River is now located.
William Akers operated the ferry from 1768 to sometime before 1812 and lived in the house here which was also an ordinary or inn. It is now on the National Register of Historic Places. By 1788 Dan Akers operated the ferry, followed by James Saunders, Harrison akers, William flint, and Aaron Mitchell. The house is part of the Ferry Farm today located between Bolinbroke Creek on the east and Reads Cove and Porpoise Creek on the west, on the south side of Ferry Farm Road, east of U.S. Route 50 at the north end of the Choptank River Bridge
The Emerson Harrington Bridge across the river was begun in 1933 and opened in 1935 and received it's dedication by Franklin D. Roosevelt. That's when the Akers Ferry was discontinued.
Source: Lower Choptank River Cultural Resource..