LOOKING AROUND DELAWARE
Farmington, first known as Flatiron, is a town in Misspillion Hundred that came about in 1855 with the railroad. It stood in the neighborhood of centuries old historic tracts where the early settlers established homesteads as early as 1680. In 1780 the Methodist held the first annual conference in the United States here.
In this vicinity as built a church of the Methodist Protestants after the split from the Methodist Episcopal church.
Right after the railroad station of Flatiron was set on the Delaware Railway, streets were laid out, and within three years they had a post office with postmaster Shadrack D. Taylor and the name was changed to Farminton.
Canneries and evaporating plants helped the town to boom. One of the canneries had a seasons capacity of over 100,000 baskets of peaches put into cans and the evaporation plants averaged 1800 baskets a season.
J. B. Simmons' saw mill produced 7000 board feet of lumber each day in 1877.
These industries gave work to several hundred men.
It was in 1780 when John Wesley met at the homestead of Thomas White, a judge of Kent County Court of Common Pleas, for the first Unites State Methodist Conference. On this property was built Whites Chapel in 1780 which held the first day school and Sunday school in Misspillion Hundred. Bethel Methodist Protestant Church, one of the first of this denomination in America was built in here 1871.
A Presbyterian Church of Farmington was erected in 1840 on the W. H. Powell farm and later moved into the town.
In 1863 a select school was established by Rev. J. M. Williams, president of Wesley College of Wilmington. In 1937 there were two buildings of this school still occupied by The Irish American Hall and The German American Hall, at Sixth & French Streets.
The Farmington Methodist Episcopal Church, known as Salem Church, was built a mile out of town in 1818 and opened a day school there. It was replaced in town in 1873.
Wilmington Morning News, Thursday, January 9, 1936 Looking Around Delaware