LOOKING AROUND DELAWARE
On the banks of Noxontown Lake of Appoquinimink Hundred in New Castle county, lies ancient Noxontown, a site that first attracted the settlers from Finland who came about 1669. In the pioneer days it was the seat of many fairs, including the first annual Delaware fair. These fairs brought to Delaware many thousands of visitors from the Mid Atlantic colonies.
Noxontown was where Caeser Rodney's troops encamped in 1777 to hinder the British and Hessian troops of General Howe on their march up the peninsula toward Philadelphia. There is also a story that a plot to betray General Washington was unraveled at this camp.
Near by this village was born the Rev. Levi Scott, the first American Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church who is buried at Union Chapel. The parents of Bishop Scott emigrated to “Wooden Duck”, Appoquinimink , from Ireland in 1772.
The home of Governor John Hunn's father, who was a “chief” to the Maryland-Delaware Underground Railroad was located near the village.
Early records dated 1669 show William Tom petitioned Governor Nicholas of New York for a permit on behalf a group of Finnish settlers in 1671 when 400 acres were patented to Abraham Coffin, called “Mountain Neck” .
Mountain Neck later became a part of the estate of Johannes De Haes in New Castle county.
He and a partner, Ephraim Herrman , held it and other holdings throughout New Castle county.
De Haes was French and an ancestor on his mothers side of the Janiver family, later prominent in Delaware affairs, and the original De Haes settler was a magistrate in William Penns first assembly.
Thomas Noxon, founder of the hamlet had built grist mills on the shore of the lake before 1740 and coastal vessels were once able to sail up Appoquinimink Creek to these mills. Noxon also had a brew house, a malt house and a bake house, which contributed a great deal to the gaiety of the local fairs.
A hotel which had stood there since early times was torn down in 1885. In 1935 there was one of the old mills still is existence.
Today, the Protestant Episcopal School of Saint Andrews for Boys sits at the site of the once proud town.
Wilmington Morning News, Wednesday, January 15, 1936 - Looking Around Delaware