Tuesday, August 29, 2017

KERMIT HILL OF REHOBOTH

Bob Savage
Bob Savage 4:18pm Aug 28
This is from a Delaware State News Article that was posted in the Lifestyle Section on Thursday, May 30, 1985. I could scan the article, but the print might be to hard to read as a post, so I figured I'd just retype it for you.

Titled – A Colorful Curator – Former plumber now runs Indian Museum

Dewey Beach – Kermit L. Hill's grandmother was a full-blooded Sioux Indian. And, because he is proud of his heritage, Hill has been collecting relics for 60 years.
Hill, 70, was a plumber for 32 years before retiring five years ago. He is a familiar figure around Dewey Beach, striding around in a straw cowboy hat, rimmed with colorful bird feathers, Silver earrings peek through his long, white hair. Hill has the high cheekbones and hawkish nose of his ancestors. Only his pale blue eyes belie his heritage.
In front of the small white beach house, where Hill and his wife have lived for 35 years, is an Indian grave with a homemade wooden marker and a pile of bones. The skeleton buried there was dug up by Hill 12 years ago on Thompson's Island, Near Rehoboth.
“Actually” he said, “I dug up two Indians. I didn't dig em up altogether” he corrected himself. “The man who owned the property dug one of 'em out when he planted his corn”.
Hill took one of the skulls to a Delaware State Archeologist to determine the age and sex of the skeleton.
“They said it was a Nanticoke, 800 to 900 years old.” he said. “It was a young girl who died from some kind of disease. I brought it home and put it under the bed. I tried to put it back together, but it was to much for me, so I buried it out in my yard.”
The incident attracted a lot of attention, and Hill had curiosity-seekers coming from Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., Virginia, “from everywheres” to view the grave and look at the many artifacts which fill his house.
In Hill's tiny living room, the walls are lined with Indian paintings and photographs of various vintage. Several small display cases bulge with arrowheads, implements, pipes, carved animals and jewelry. One case holds a few dozen colorful Indian dolls. All the books on display are Indian-oriented. There are 31 Indian rugs throughout the house which Hill refers to as his “museum”. The collection is insured and the cases are kept locked.
In the kitchen is a display case bulging with arrowheads, many of which were found by Hill around Delaware, some which were bought on his travels round the country and some which were sent to him by other collectors he has met over the years.
“I have over 7,000 of 'em” said Hill.
One small bedroom is completely devoted to his artifacts. Bows and arrows and long spears hang from the ceiling, along with decorative baskets and hand weapons. The walls are hung with photographs of Indians, past and present, peace pipes, beaded hangings, shields – even a plastic shrouded papoose carrier. Several display cased hold rocks, pottery, skull crackers, war clubs, more arrowheads. Several layers of Indian rugs cover the floor.
“I use to live along the Nanticoke River” he recalled. “During World War II, I was in the service for over seven years, and my father kept the stuff for me. Of course,” he mused, “I didn't have as much back then”.
Among Hill's most treasured possessions are a pair of beaded mocassins given to him by his friend, Chief Big John Tree, a Seneca Indian who lived on a reservation in New York. Hill saw an article about the chief in Life Magazine years ago. The chief was one of three Indians selected to pose for the Buffalo Head Nickel, which was in circulation from 1912 to 1938. According to Hill, feature of the chief and two other Indians named Iron Tail and Two Moons were combined to form the profile on the coin.
“I sent him 100 of those Buffalo Head Nickels,” said Hill. “He was real pleased with 'em, so he sent me the mocassins.”
The note attached to the shoes reads, “I am sending you my best and oldest mocassins. You can see they have seen better days. I hope they satisfy you.” It was signed John Big Tree.
Many of the items in Hill's collection were bought from an Indian museum in Pennsylvania when the owner sold it. The new owner tried to buy Hill's collection, but he refused. He refused to part with anything that he has. In fact, Hill refused an offer of $250 for a woven basket which he paid only $10.
The latest artifact on exhibit in Hill's museum is a long-handled weapon. Resembling a golf club in length and shape, the shaft is leather-covered and a large oval stone is affixed to the end. Hill said it is a fighting club used when doing battle on horseback.
“You could give 'em a real headache with this,” smiled Hill, brandishing the club.
Hill's grandmother “came from out West when she was a child – she don't remember from where.” Hill remembers that she made everything used by his family from scratch, like soap. She is the one who taught Hill how to dance and speak the language. Hill dances at the Nanticoke Powwow every yer. A photo on his wall shows him in traditional Indian garb, dance wands in his hands.
As a member of the American Indian Society, Hill is on their mailing list and keeps up with Indian culture all over America.
“There's supposed to be 562 people with Indian blood in Oak Orchard. Not full-blooded,” he stressed. “A lot of 'em come to see me. I've had Indians come from as far away as New Mexico and Arizona.”
Hill has also had his share of school children touring his museum.
“They used to bring 'em in by the busloads,” he sighed. “I remember one little kid asked me if I had an Indian under the bed. I told him I did, and he kept staring at the bed, waiting for something to happen. I think if I had kicked the cover, he'd have been out the window” Hill laughed heartlily at the recollection.
Though Hill does not collect as actively as he used to, he still gets a stick and goes out scavenging periodically.
“But the wind's gotta be blowin' right.” he explained, “It has to be blowin' out. Then stuff gets uncovered; sticks up so I can see it.”
“I sit around and look at this stuff,” said Hill dreamily. “And I think about it – wonder whose it was, what they looked like....”

No comments:

Post a Comment