Friday, January 25, 2019

PUCKUM

PUCKUM

Yes, I know Hal Roth wrote “You can't get to Puckum from here” as
have may other items been found in newpapers, books and the internet
on the ' subject' . Lot's of Dorchester native born have said Puckum
is not a place, but an area. I am OK with that.

What I do know is; At Eldorado , say crossroads if you want, it is a small
community with history and a grave yard with my ancestors buried there.
So, it's part of “ me “. At Eldorado, there is a road headed north by the
name of Puckum Road. As I say it is a north and south running road,
which crosses over Puckum Branch before it stops at an east and west
road named Wesley Road which is off of the Finchville to Eldorado Road.
Wesley Road goes toward the Nanticoke River, I suppose I should say the
Marshy Hope Creek, but as I said I am from Dorchester county and call
things as I wish. Anyway, at the 'Creek' Wesley turns north to end at the
Harrison Ferry to Finchville Road, right near Hurlock. South of where
Wesley Road turns north, is some wild county forest lands, and two or three
miles back toward Eldorado or Brookview Bridge, once Crocthers Ferry,
flows the Puckum Branch before it dumps into the river or creek. Puckum
Branch is short. Less that 7 miles long.

So, I am going out on the limb and say I 'consider' Puckum, an area and
not a place, between the Harrison Ferry to Finchville Road and Wesley
Road intersection, south to wild lands and where Puckum Branch flows
into Marshy Hope Creek. Ok. That my Puckum.

According to many of Dorchester, Puckum is where you just passed
through or is just down the road a piece. On the south of Puckum Branch
was a 1732 plantation, Hackett's Adventure, I think the grave yard I have mentioned is on this land, and the ruins of a brick chimney was found that
indicates there was once someone who inhabited this land, maybe Puckum

Another good bet, the Nanticoke Indian tribe had a village on the east side
of the Nanticoke River near what was later Barrens Creek that had the
name Puckamee. There is more to come about “Puckum”
Abstract: Salisbury Daily Times, August 18, 1998, Hal Roth's column .

No comments:

Post a Comment